Skip to main content

Destination: MD/MBA


By Jake Goodman, UGA '15, MBA '20

I always knew that I wanted to be a doctor. I remember proudly proclaiming this during elementary school during career days. I didn’t know what kind of doctor that I wanted to be, but the decision to pursue medicine was clear from an early age.

What I didn’t know was that the path to medical school was like running through miles of thorn bushes while trying to avoid a stampede of buffalo in the dark of night, during a tornado. Maybe I’m being dramatic, but I remember what it was like every step of the way, and it was not easy.

I was never the smartest person in the class. As I say in the video: I failed my driver’s test twice, I took the SAT three times to get the score I needed, and I had to take the MCAT twice. I got denied from 25 medical schools and it took me nearly two years to get accepted. Hard work, resilience, and patience got me to where I am today.

After 3 years of medical school up in Philadelphia at Sidney Kimmel Medical College (Thomas Jefferson University), I decided to pursue a unique opportunity to get my Master of Business Administration at my Alma Mater, the University of Georgia, in the MD/MBA Dual Degree program.

When I returned to UGA, I wanted to give back to the University that gave me so much and shaped me into the person I am today. I decided to begin volunteering for the UGA Pre-Health Advising Office, speaking at panels, hosting presentations, and meeting with students for one-on-one advising. When the new year rolled around, I decided that I wanted to make a larger impact.

We all know the value of a mentor who’s been there and done that. During undergrad at UGA, I had a small handful of these mentors who were accepted into medical school and they provided me with powerful advice. What about the people that didn’t have these mentors? Imagine a space where an entire community of doctors, dentists, physician assistants, nurses, physical therapists, pharmacists, and more, many of whom are UGA Grads, provide advice and motivational stories to Pre-Meds.

In January of 2020, I launched Destination Med School, an online community of medical professionals sharing their advice, insight, and lessons they’ve learned along their journey. As I write this post today, the account has far exceeded 2,000 followers on Instagram since launching one month ago and has grown to a community of nearly 100 medical professionals. Future medical professionals, anywhere in the world, can now tune in to receive daily content from mentors in all fields.

I want to thank the Georgia MBA program for empowering me to embark on this journey, my professors for teaching me valuable business skills, and the UGA Pre-Health Advising Office for providing me with a platform to give back to this University.

I am proud to continue speaking to future medical professionals at UGA. I am proud to run an account that provides mentorship to students that need it. And I am proud to now, and always, be a Georgia Bulldawg.

Check out Destination Med School on Instagram @ https://www.instagram.com/destinationmedschool/

Comments

Popular Posts

Meet the MBA: 1st Year Vishakha Tiwari

A native of Northern India, Vishakha Tiwari has worked for KPMG in Bangalore, India, and as a Business Analyst for Accenture. She has worked for various causes such as education, gender equality and with different NGOs. Tiwari is now pursuing her MBA, concentrating in Strategy with additional focus areas in Analytics. Tell us about your hometown and what you were doing before the MBA program. I am from Patna, one of the oldest towns in the northern region of India. Patna is known for its hospitality, exceptionally decadent cuisines and its contributions to the Indian Independence movement. Before the MBA, I was working full-time as a Management Consultant with KPMG in Bangalore, India. I have worked on several client service transformation, revenue diversification, project management and claims analytics projects. I have also worked with Accenture as a Business Analyst between 2016 and 2019. My undergraduate major was Electronics and Electrical Engineering. Outside of work, I w

From the Military to the MBA: The Student Veteran Experience

MBA Student Veterans, Class of 2021 The MBA is an effective path for former and currently serving military personnel who wish to either pivot into the private sector or advance their careers within the military. In particular, a full-time program offers essential career support and training and experiential opportunities that help veterans translate the value of their experience for the civilian sector while using the academic offerings of the program to add new skills and practice current skills in new industries. The Georgia MBA programs enroll the highest percentage of military veterans of any program at the University of Georgia and 100% of our Full-Time MBA veteran students transition into rewarding civilian careers. That transition isn’t always easy, but the Georgia MBA provides them with the support they need to succeed. To understand what that transition looks like as a Georgia MBA student, listen to two of the Dawgs on Top podcast episodes from 2022 and 2020 to learn more

Spain, Here We Come!

This week, 50+ of our Full-Time Mba students are leaving for Spain on our International Residency trip. After so long without travel, they are excited for this opportunity to explore Barcelona and Madrid and engage with our host companies. During the 6-week course, student teams engage in consulting projects to integrate knowledge gained in class, their business acumen, and strategy execution skills working on real problems. Before traveling, they establish contact with the company through bi-weekly calls, conduct research, and explore the problem to establish preliminary findings. Once in-country, they will spend time working on-site and create a deliverable to present to their client company. This year, student teams are working with seven companies: ILOS Natural Luxury Cosmetic (natural cosmetics company), Nano by Saruina (skincare company), Bionic Mobility Solutions (exoskeleton developer), IEC Trials CoreLab (and imaging contract research organization), Axiel Biotech (boutique a