Skip to main content

The First-Semester MBA Internship Hunt


By Nick Banister, MBA '19

After months of preparation beginning well before classes even started, I was determined and ready to land a brand management internship at the upcoming National Black MBA Association (NBMBAA) Conference in Philadelphia. I wasn’t 100% sold on marketing or brand management, but I knew that this conference was my best opportunity to get a foot in that door. While I didn’t have much success with the pre-scheduled interviews, I was confident that I could secure at least one on the career fair floor.

On the first day of the conference, I worked my way through my list of target companies doing my best to pitch myself as a competent, emerging Brand Manager. On several occasions I was close to earning a spot on the interview schedule, but my non-marketing background seemed to be a major turnoff to most employers. With a background in supply chain management, I realized attempting to transition into a marketing-focused career would be difficult, and corporate recruiters seemed to agree. I made one final stop at the Relish Careers booth to learn more about their MBA job search platform then headed back to my hotel. After a disappointing first day, I spent the evening thinking long and hard about my future career path.

The next day I woke up early and adjusted my resume to emphasize my two years of logistics experience. I realized I could offer a company much more in a supply chain role than in a marketing role, so I adjusted my “sales pitch.” This turned out to be a good idea as I was able to secure an interview spot for a supply chain internship with the very first company representative I talked to. While I didn’t get an internship offer from the event, I knew the right opportunity would come.

Following the conference, I checked the Relish Careers website every day for new internship postings. One day, I noticed an Inventory Planning Supply Chain Internship opening with Lowe’s that seemed right up my alley, so I applied. The next day I was contacted by a Lowe’s recruiter who wanted to set up a phone interview. This led to another interview which led to the internship offer I was anxiously waiting for.

The recruiting process is stressful. It takes a lot of work, and you don’t always see the benefits right away. My biggest pieces of advice to future MBA students are to be flexible and be patient. If an employer thinks you would be better in a supply chain role instead of a marketing role, why not try it out? An internship is just 10-13 weeks, and you may just fall in love with the work you end up doing. It’s also important to be patient. If you don’t get an internship offer at the NBMBAA Conference, don’t stress. The Georgia MBA program has a 100% internship placement rate, so the Career Management Center does a great job of pointing students in the right direction. Just build up your resume, fine-tune your interview and “pitching” skills, and check the Relish Careers website every day.

Comments

Popular Posts

Meet the MBA: 1st Year Vishakha Tiwari

A native of Northern India, Vishakha Tiwari has worked for KPMG in Bangalore, India, and as a Business Analyst for Accenture. She has worked for various causes such as education, gender equality and with different NGOs. Tiwari is now pursuing her MBA, concentrating in Strategy with additional focus areas in Analytics. Tell us about your hometown and what you were doing before the MBA program. I am from Patna, one of the oldest towns in the northern region of India. Patna is known for its hospitality, exceptionally decadent cuisines and its contributions to the Indian Independence movement. Before the MBA, I was working full-time as a Management Consultant with KPMG in Bangalore, India. I have worked on several client service transformation, revenue diversification, project management and claims analytics projects. I have also worked with Accenture as a Business Analyst between 2016 and 2019. My undergraduate major was Electronics and Electrical Engineering. Outside of work, I w

From the Military to the MBA: The Student Veteran Experience

MBA Student Veterans, Class of 2021 The MBA is an effective path for former and currently serving military personnel who wish to either pivot into the private sector or advance their careers within the military. In particular, a full-time program offers essential career support and training and experiential opportunities that help veterans translate the value of their experience for the civilian sector while using the academic offerings of the program to add new skills and practice current skills in new industries. The Georgia MBA programs enroll the highest percentage of military veterans of any program at the University of Georgia and 100% of our Full-Time MBA veteran students transition into rewarding civilian careers. That transition isn’t always easy, but the Georgia MBA provides them with the support they need to succeed. To understand what that transition looks like as a Georgia MBA student, listen to two of the Dawgs on Top podcast episodes from 2022 and 2020 to learn more

Making a Career Transition with the Georgia MBA

The majority of MBA students are career switchers. Some making a pivot within their industry; some making a big pivot to another industry. What’s not often clear is exactly how an MBA makes that happen. First, a correction. MBA programs (alone) don’t make anything happen. You do. You have to put in the work, accept the feedback (it’s a gift!), and put yourself out there to build new relationships and expand your professional network. That’s where your MBA program can help – and should help. Helping you making it happen. The MBA is a practitioner’s degree. Yes, you are back in school and expected to perform well as a student. You also have a “job” while in school – retooling for your next job. In classes, you will learn the theory, discuss real life situations through cases, solve problems with your team, and learn how to use data to tell a compelling story. You are also there to practice those new skills outside the classroom, in a learning environment, so that you are equipped wit